Reef Rescue has printed and just delivered 2,000 anchoring education rack cards to Sea Tow for distribution to the boating public.
Eveyrone can help protect PBC coral reefs from illegal anchoring.
The Florida Coral Reef Protection Act establishes stiff civil penalties for anchoring in coral. In addition, staghorn coral is protected under the federal Endangered Species Act which provides for fines of $25,000 and up to six months in prison following conviction.
Be part of the solution, if you see a vessel anchored on a PBC reef do the following and FDEP will take enforcement action.
To report a boat anchored in coral you need:
- To be positive it is anchored on the reef.
- Vessel registration numbers and vessel description.
- Date, time, water depth and GPS coordinates of the anchored boat.
- A photo of the vessel, preferably with the shoreline in the background.
- You can also provide, though not absolutely necessary, a photo of the boat’s anchor embedded in the reef.
If you would like to help distribute boater anchoring education cards or need some for your organization, marina, store or club call Reef Rescue at: (561) 699-8559